Congress will soon vote on a home mortgage relief plan that would help 13 million homeowners each save thousands of dollars per year, a total $35 billion annually. Join the campaign NOW to support this plan. (This page last modified June 20.)
Join National Field Campaign Calls, Mondays and Thursdays, 5-5:30pm Eastern Time. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get details.
Resources and materials:
- For Press Conferences
- Talking points (PDF) (updated 6/20)
- Fact sheet: backgrounder and overview (PDF) (updated 6/20)
- Fact sheet: policy details on the three bills (PDF)
- Sample press release (coming soon)
- Briefing papers with state-by-state data (coming soon)
- Sample Op-ed (editable Word doc) (updated 6/20)
- Sample Letter to the Editor (editable Word doc) (updated 6/20)
- Automated Letter to the Editor web tool
- Sample call script for Call Your Senator day (PDF)
- Automated "Call Your Senator" web tool (works only for those in target states)
- National petition to Congress
- Create your own petition tool (updated 6/20)
Informational Videos from the White House:
- White House White Board: Refinancing
- On the Clock: Mortgage Refinance in 60 Seconds
- Ask An Expert: How Much Will Refinancing Cost The Taxpayer?
- Ask An Expert: Will Interest Rates Under The Refinancing Proposal Compare With The Marketplace?
- Ask An Expert: Can I Shorten My Term and Lower My Payments Under The Refinancing Proposal?
- Ask An Expert: Does it Matter Under The Refinancing Proposal if The Property is Underwater?
- Week of June 18: launch petitions
- June 20-21: Press events
- June 20: submit op eds to newspapers
- June 21-28: submit letters to the editor
- June 25-26: Call Your Senator days
Note: A vote in the Senate is expected some time in July. Stay tuned.
What your organization can do:
2) PUBLISH AN OP-ED: Submit an op-ed to the paper of record in your state, for publication June 20-28. See sample op-ed above.
3) WRITE LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Organize your membership to submit letters to the editor from members in support of bills, June 21 - 28. See sample LTE above.
4a) COLLECT SIGNATURES FOR THE NATIONAL PETITION: Help collect signatures on this national petition to Congress by Rebuild the Dream. Petition signatures will be delivered the week of the Senate vote.4b) OR LAUNCH YOUR OWN PETITION: Collect signatures on a petition crafted by and for your membership to help build your list. Rebuild the Dream is creating a tool to provide any group with the technology and support to do this easily. Stay tuned. The tool will be released the week of June 11. 5) MAKE PHONE CALLS TO THE SENATE: Organize your membership on call-in days to directly pressure your Senator(s) the week of June 25, when the vote is expected. Collectively, we will generate thousands of calls to the Senate. Call script and instructions coming soon.
We have an opportunity to help millions of families and to draw bright lines around what is at stake in this election year. Nearly half of all home loans have interest rates that are too high, compared to the record low interest rates now available. A third of home loans are financially underwater. Many homeowners want to refinance to lower rates but can’t.Here’s a no-brainer solution: Help homeowners to simply refinance to take advantage of the low interest rates now available. Fix the rules so banks don't stand in the way. And have the federal government cover closing costs. Congress will soon vote on a home mortgage relief plan that would do just this. Nationwide, this plan would help up to 13 million eligible homeowners save a total $35 billion annually. This solution is an important stop-gap measure to provide immediate relief for millions of underwater homeowners. It is a step in the right direction on the larger issues of principle reduction and banker fraud -- and moves homeowners to the center of the political debate.