For months, Rebuild the Dream, along with US PIRG, Campus Progress and the US Student Association, has been campaigning so Congress stops Stafford loan rates from doubling. Rebuild the Dream members wrote 130,000 letters to members of Congress and made 4,000 phone calls to their Senators. It's on now. The White House is responding by jumping in and bringing national attention to this important issue.President Obama has launched a campaign to support the efforts to stop Congress from letting student loan rates double this summer. Starting with events in North Carolina, President Obama gave a speech on college affordability at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. This was followed by a visit to Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.Here's the round up from Obama's student loan interest rate push.
- President Obama tells students that he and Michelle have been in student's shoes with student loan debts.
- After kicking off the campaign to stop Stafford Loan rates from doubling, Obama rallied students in Colorado.
- The White House encouraged people to share their stories and contribute to the conversation using the hashtag #DontDoubleMyRate
- #DontDoubleMyRate gets pickedgets amplified by the USPIRG and many of the groups originally pushing the Don't Double campaign
- Today on Wednesday, President Obama visited the University of Iowa to continue the push.
Do you like this post?